vendredi 26 décembre 2008

Mind & Perception, a scary Reality?

Wednesday I hear really strange noise during the night in my room then had some strange and scary vision projected in my mind. That the first time it happens when I was really conscious. It lasted for about 1 minute and I must admit that I was kind of scared, like a kid barely being able to check over his blanket! *laughs*

Somehow, I wanted to test something yesterday night before falling asleep. This state is called hypnagogia, which cover the transitional state between wakefulness and sleep. I was kind of imposing myself with scary thought as I selected creepy theme before entering this state. What resulted was really frightening thought, yet very realistic to a point that I could feel like I was being paralysed by this fear.

I was in a creepy village and some kind of blue spectre was hunting me. I was hiding in the darkness; my back turned to it and every time I wanted to see what that creature was, I was like… petrified. I was overwhelmed by terrible fear and all I could do was to turn my back so I could not see it even if I know that it was there.

Somehow, I did know that it was only some thoughts projected by my mind but it was like I had no control over it. It can be quite terrifying to see that our mind can have so much power and control on our perception of the reality. After all, no matter how crazy dreams look like, they often look very realist for us. It’s like that we forgot all senses of logic as our mind rule our perception.

Here what Wikipedia say about perception and reality: “The brain, with which you perceive the world, is made up of neurons “buzzing” at 50 cycles a second, while the world as it exists in reality, is made up of electro-magnetic radiation oscillating at 500 trillion cycles a second. This means that the human brain cannot nearly keep up with the ‘realness of reality.’ To compensate, the brain takes a preconceived idea about the object, then uses those preconceived ideas to see whether or not they are there. The problem with attaining an accurate perception of reality stems from the fact that humans are unable to understand new information, without the inherent bias of their previous knowledge. The extent of a person's knowledge creates their reality as much as the truth, because the human mind can only contemplate that which it has been exposed to. When objects are viewed without understanding, the mind will try to reach for something that it already recognizes, in order to process what it is viewing. That which most closely relates to the unfamiliar from our past experiences, makes up what we see when we look at things that we don't comprehend.”

Taking this into consideration… I often wonder how many things aren’t "real" in our reality… and what about those that are imperceptibles? The margin between what is real and not seems pretty big. How false is our understanding of the reality?

Aucun commentaire: